Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Caturday and Computer Games - A Value Essay

    Caturdays and Computer Games
Value can have a lot of different meanings. Whether or not you’re talking about a fancy new sports car kind of valuable or a more deep sentimental meaning is up to you. The car definitely has more economic value with some cars reaching prices in the hundred thousands, but something more personal such as Christmas morning might be able to top some of the priciest of cars. Anything from the first relationship you had to the weird calendars aunts you’ve never met send you on the holidays can have value. The matter is not what the price tag is but rather how much does it mean to you.
    I wake up on a saturday morning. there’s nothing i have to do today and there’s nothing I’m going to do either way. My first cat, Wilt, comes in seconds later with his weird cat radar that tells him when I’m awake. He jumps on my bed and begs to be fed. I brush him off for as long as I’m able. It’s early for most but late for me. I look at the clock to confirm my suspicions, 7:00. At last I get up and walk into the kitchen. Wilt has left my side at this point as the kitchen is my other cat, Ellie’s territory. Ellie, in turn greets me on the floor as i go to get myself some orange juice as i do every morning. Now i turn back to my room, i shove my backpack off my desk. I’m not going to be doing any homework today.
I turn from my backpack and the rest of the day starts. What I see is the pride and joy that is my computer. Its nothing special to be honest but I bought all the pieces with my own money. Everything came separately to a grand total of approx. $600 which i payed for in earnings from birthday and christmas. I use it to play online with my friends for the majority of the day. We’ll play a variety of games but mostly League of Legends. I’ve played so many great games of League that even though my computer is worth $600 (probably a lot less by now though) and it’s technically a priced item, I value it at a much greater price due to all the time and the experiences that I’ve had on it.
Saturday mornings and my computer are very different things but with glaring similarities thrown in with it. One being that i do value my computer with more sentimental value than physical. With everything that I do being on that computer (while at my mom’s house). I’ve had so many memorable moments on the computer that I can almost call it valueless. The essay I am doing right now is on my computer (not exactly a factor on how much It’s good however). Another similarity is that I probably use my computer most on Saturday mornings so in a way they are the same. Both things are relaxing and calming in their respective ways as well.
The differences are fewer, but more obvious. While the computer is a physical object that can be picked up (with some difficulty) a weekend is not. A weekend is simply an idea (a grand idea i may add) made of days of the month that allows a moments respite from our daily life of school or work or whatnot. In short, it is a needed break that allows us to unwind. If just for a little while. It is not something that can be manipulated or touched. On the other hand a computer is a physical object and must be manipulated and worked to perform any useful function.
Everyone has possessions that are valuable as well as morning rituals, special moments, or traditions that mean a great deal. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the same goes with value, things that are important to me might be valueless or even stupid to someone else. Anything that means something has value. And both of these things have very significant value to me. whether its economic or sentimental, both are “expensive” items and it would be hard to part with either.

4 comments:

  1. In this essay the author is valuing his computer, hes saying it does not match up to the weekends but it is still what he values. He mentions how much it costs but how much the stuff he does on it is valueless because he cant replace those times. Both objects I find were described but the computer I must say was described in a more vivid description, he was discussing on how much it costs and the games he played on it. He liked to play "League Of Legends". The essays pverall strength would probably have to be its organization. His paragraphs are sorted out to do with one object, an introduction and a conclusion. A tip of advice I would give you for writing would be to add more detail, I feel like reading this essay I couldnt see what you were describing and it went by really fast to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the author is saying that value can come in many diffrent forms, like a physical object or a thought or feeling. I think that the author better described his computer to us. I think that this sentence was very well done as well, "I’ve played so many great games of League that even though my computer is worth $600 (probably a lot less by now though) and it’s technically a priced item". I thnk that this essay has a lot of strength in the wording of the way that the author describes his sunday mornings and what he likes to do. The author could consider elaborating on what he bought for his computer, maby a little bit of backround information on his computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The author says that anything can have value to someone. However he also points out that that same thing may have no value to someone else. I think this is a good description of value and how it works. I liked your description of waking up. It was very clear and I could picture it well. I also like the term “cat radar”, as it was humorous and a good description. I like how you used good description throughout the essay. The author had good adjectives and told the story with good images. I could picture everything he was talking about well. I think you could improve with more organization. Make sure you talk about everything in an order that makes sense. The reader has to be able to follow what you’re saying. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The author uses a quote we've probably all heard before saying "They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder" which describes what he thinks value is very accurately. It sounds to me that you value your computer a lot too. I think this way because you gave better description for it. better description usually means that you like it better. Description was definitely a very strong part about this essay. I do suggest that you slow down your writing pace. The story went by very fast.

    ReplyDelete